Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Management and Leadership Tips

Just imagine if in world everyone walks like this – feeling insecure, depressed, unhappy, feeling lonely! What sort of company is that? What sort of world will we be in? What kind of institute will that be? Can you make any progress? First you need to create the trust. That’s the secret of management, and that begins with you having trust. When you walk around with your mind saying ‘I don’t trust you, I don’t trust you, I don’t trust you’, the same thing reflects back to you. When we don’t like being doubted by people, why do we keep doubt in everyone around us? Are you all with me?
You know, banks give credit, I just take credit! You see a lamp is burning, it is not just the lamp but the wick and oil that burns, but the lamp takes the credit, correct? Any achievement, anything that’s wonderful is a collective effort of so many. And you will see, in the collective effort, there is one inspiration, one wave, one energy, one divinity that supports and helps the progress. That component of life is called the Spiritual component. It is the lack of spiritual component that throws one either on one side of violence, or the other side of depression and suicidal tendencies. You know!

(After a pause)

Are you all here? Listening to me? Do you notice, when you are listening, you are also having a dialogue in your mind - Yes, No, how that could be? We are made up of seven faculties within us – The Body, Breath, Mind - The faculty by which you perceive. Intellect – that which agrees and disagrees, the judging aspect within you. The memory – Which often clings on to the negative. Given 10 positive comments and one negative, your mind holds on to that one negative. Then Ego – That which makes you feel separate, and that which makes you feel motivated to do something. And then that reference point of all changes in life, something that doesn’t change – The seven layers of life. A little bit about each layer of life brings the transformation. And that’s all is ‘Art of Living’.
The leadership begins with example. People ask me if I don’t get tired for I travel so much. Haven’t slept for four nights this last fortnight. Every night I was travelling and visiting all the Tsunami hit areas. I thought, “May be I will get irritated if I haven’t slept for the fourth night”. You know, to my surprise, I didn’t. When people ask whether I don’t get tired of doing so many things, I say I don’t do anything which is not in my nature.
Living by example – the first quality of leadership, and being totally open and honest! If you did a mistake, okay, “I did a mistake’. When you try to cover one mistake, it leads to a chain of mistakes. One mistake, that leads to another mistake. That weakens your whole system, weakens your working style, your environment. So, just being straight forward, open, honest and inclusive.
Often we point out someone’s mistake. You know why, because their mistake hurts us. “What you are doing, you shouldn’t do it because it is hurting me”. This is often we hear. When you go to correct someone’s mistake with this attitude, it never gets corrected. So, what do you need to do? What you are doing will hurt you, so you better don’t do it. Not because it is hurting me, but eventually it is going to hurt you, so you better change. That beings transformation!
I would say, we need to put attention on three C’s. First, see your life in the context of time and space, the cosmology. How vast this creation is? How big this Universe is and how small our life is? Billions of years have passed and billions more to come. What is my position in context with this? You are living this life with 6 billion people on this planet right now! Do you feel you belong to them all? Do you feel at home with everyone? When you have that sense of belongingness, you start with that feeling, know that you have earned the customers everywhere. In fact, they become your family, an extended family. Sense of belongingness in any set up! Very important! Whether it is a corporation, NGO, social organization, Religious organization, and a leader is to create that sense of belongingness, sense of responsibility.

No comments: